Popular Churches in Kerala You Must Visit with Your Family
Kerala is a diverse, multi-religious state. Although Hinduism and Islam are widely followed in this state, a large population of Kerala adheres to Christianity. Several pilgrimage sites are thronged with devotees and loved due to their amazing design despite being ancient. Book Kerala tour packages for Family to have a comfortable stay and to visit these famous churches.
• Malayattor Chruch - The St. Thomas Syro-Malabar Church or simply the Malyattor Church is located in the Ernakulam district in the central part of Kerala. The Vatican has designated this church as one of the eight international shrines in the world. Situated on a hilltop, this church attracts devotees from all over the country.
• Vallarpadam Church - This Shrine has been given national status by the Government of India and has been acknowledged as a major pilgrim spot of India. Mary, the mother of Jesus, also known as Vallarpadathamma is the principal attraction of this church and people from all over the world come to this church to seek her blessings.
• Nadamel Marth Miriam Church - Situated in Tripunithura in the city of Kochi, this church was built in the 12th century. It is a Jacobite Syrian Christian Church and was built on an area donated by Valamthuruthy Bhattathiri. It was granted royal patronage by the Cochin royal family.
• Kadamattom Church - St George’s Church in Kadamattom or Kadamattom Church is another Jacobite Syrian Church located in the Ernakulam District. The church is believed to be established by Mar Abo, a Persian high priest. A distinct feature of this church is a Persian cross made from stone dating back to the 9th century and is present on the right side of the altar room.
• St. Francis Church - Located in Fort Cochin, this church holds great historical significance. It is also the oldest European Church in all of India. The remains of the Portuguese explorer Vasco da Gama resided in this church for fourteen years. It was a quiet observer to the colonization of Europeans.
• Santa Cruz Basilica - Massively popular for its style and design, this basilica situated in Fort Cochin is popular all over India and is highly recommended if someone is near Kochi. Originally constructed by the Portuguese in the 1500s, it underwent key renovations in 1905.
• Vimalgiri Church - A striking feature of this church is its mammoth tower which stands at over 170 feet. It has been called as one of the largest churches in Kerala and is also known for its Gothic architectural style.
• St George Forane Church - The well of this church located in Edappally is believed to have healing powers. Built in AD 594, it has the distinction of being one of the oldest Roman Catholic Churches in Kerala.
Kerala has an amazing history of having an ethnically diverse land. These famous churches are revered and popular throughout Kerala and Southern India for their design despite ageing back hundreds of years. The history of these churches is worth exploring and this is why one should consider Kerala tour packages for family to make the most out of your Kerala Trip.